Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy 69th Birthday Jimmy Page

I had discussion this past year with some guys forming a Led Zep tribute band. While it never panned out, I spent a number of weeks digging into the guitar playing of eight Led Zeppelin songs, and casually learning/relearning about six more. Even for an old Led Zeppelin fan like me, who has played guitar for 40-years and learnt the instrument on the stylings of Jimmy Page, it was eye-opening.

On the Song Remains the Same, an incredible piece of musical composition, he plays this one lick. It's just a note really, except he bends the note 2 1/2 tones, from a B to an E, then brings it back down in staccato shots half a tone at a time: E! D#! D! C#! C! and back to B. It's simple in essence, I could teach it to a beginner, although it takes some physical strength to bend a note 2 1/2 tones on a 12-string. But it's also brilliant, pure musicianship required to make it sound like anything at all.

The catalogue, especially after the third album, is full of examples. There was virtually no wasted notes: if Jimmy Page played it, there was a reason for it.

On his 69th birthday it's worth pointing out that after a lifetime of playing, in my late-40's I'm still discovering the mysteries of what Jimmy Page did in his 20's and early 30's. I'm still finding magic in the notes he created.

Happy 69th Birthday Jimmy Page. For all of it, and for all that is still to come.






10 comments:

Analice said...

doing a great job, keep up the work going. http://www.seomaster.com.br

PC-HOME Dépannage informatique said...

Hey very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I am glad to seek out a lot of helpful information right here within the post, we'd like develop more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Sanford Billings said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

forex trading said...

Warm welcome to www.forex.cd- Your very own premium guide of forex online information and reviews.
forex trading

louis vuitton luggage said...

I consider something truly interesting about your website so I saved to fav.

cheap louis vuitton belts said...

I've recently started a site, the info you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work. "There can be no real freedom without the freedom to fail." by Erich Fromm.
cheap louis vuitton belts http://www.cheaplouisvuittonbeltsny.com/

louis vuitton purses said...

certainly like your website however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I will surely come again again.

louis vuitton bags said...

I consider something genuinely special in this internet site.

Ingrid said...

This really answered my drawback, thanks

burberry uk outlet said...

Keep good men company and you shall be of the number.