Sunday, January 30, 2011

Band of Joy: The Three Sided LP

I picked up the LP of Robert Plant and the Band of Joy today, and found an interesting surprise. Here's the tracklist:

Side 1

  • Angel Dance

  • House of Cards

  • Central Two-O-Nine

  • Silver Rider


Side 2

  • You Can't Buy My Love

  • Falling in Love Again

  • The Only Sound That Matters

  • Monkey


Side 3

  • Cindy, I'll Marry You Someday

  • Harm's Swift Way

  • Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

  • Even This Shall Pass Away


That's it. A three sided LP. I opened it expecting some triangular variation, but no such luck. Instead, side 4 was engraved with the same ring that adorns the front and back cover, as well as a quote from Beowulf in Olde English: þa gyt hie him asetton segen gelden heah ofer heafod, oleton holm beran...

[caption id="attachment_863" align="aligncenter" width="491" caption="Click to Enlarge"]plant-lp[/caption]

Vinyl albums are more collector piece than musical experience these days. Personally, I like that: better quality albums; some thought put into the presentation of the albums. In this case, Robert Plant came up with a first for my collection, the three sided LP.

2 comments:

Steve "The Lemon" Sauer said...

I know I've seen three-sided LPs before. Can't place it off-hand as to what ones in particular, but it's not like they're totally uncommon. Apparently, Robert was talking about the Band of Joy album on vinyl onstage in New York over the weekend.

iambriandammit said...

I'm sure it's not the first time somebody thought of it but I have a few thousand records and I don't think I have ever seen it before.

Either way, kinda cool.